World's Greatest Dad

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Royal Clown Cola


I always knew growing up that I had the funniest dad. It must have come from all the "Royal Clown Cola" you drank as a child. You were always making us laugh and smile with your whit and humor.

I always knew growing up that I had the smartest dad. You knew how everything worked and you could fix anything from glasses and electronics to cars and homes. I still call with difficult questions because I know you will have an answer.

I always knew growing up that I had the hardest working dad. Projects like installing a bug zapper, rebuilding a backhoe, replacing the leach bed, and building a swing set filled your evenings and weekends. Other than an occasional video or NOVA program, I can't think of any other time you spent watching TV. Your idea of relaxing was carrying around a 30lb. propane tank torching weeds.

I always knew growing up that church was important to you. You were the one to set up and maintain audio and satelite equipment in the building. You stayed after church every Sunday to fulfill your assignment as ward clerk. I remember many trips to the Johnson Farm to prune and pick apples and strawberries. As your home teaching companion I remember visiting Cathy Forsthofer, Mable O'Niel and others.

I always knew growing up that family time was important to you. And it wasn't just the big trips to Palmyra, Niagara Falls, The World's Fair and Smoky Mountains, Washington DC, Myrtle Beach, The Grand Canyon, Texas, The Great Salt Lake, or Slide Rock and Chandler, Arizona. It was also time spent taking pictures in the park after church, Saturday morning Coleman pancakes, the Akron Art Museum, NASA space center, COSI, 4th of July parades and fireworks, Geauga Lake, Hale Farm, Quaker Square, The Brown Derby, and skating at the KSU ice rink.

I always knew growing up that one on one time was important to you. I remember waiting by the road for you to come home from work so I could sit on your lap and "drive" up the driveway. I remember many times going with you to fuel the car at the gas station knowing you would give me a pretzel rod. I remember many Sundays in church bouncing on your knee or getting a back rub. And I will never forget the help you gave me rebuilding the Chevette getting it ready to take to college. The night before I left we stayed up until three in the morning struggling in vain to bleed the brakes. When I woke up the next morning I discovered that you had gotten up around 6am. to go have my brakes bled professionally.

I always knew growing up that you loved mom. You never argued even when you may have disagreed. You always held hands and opened doors and spoke kindly and softly. You always showed the respect she deserved and needed as our mother.

And yet knowing all these things growing up I didn't know how great you really were until I became a father and realized how hard it is to successfully balance work, church, society, and family responsibilities. I hope you have a great father's day! You certainly deserve it!

Love, Erik

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home